Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Gayest Show On Earth

Yesterday, David Dust did a pictorial editorial about the Tony Awards. I was too consumed with amazement at Miss Ginger Grant's prowess in raising funds for Legacy at Miss Ginger's Roundup. So in the spirit of David Dust, here is my commentary on the 2009 Tony Awards.

I have always said that if the Academy Awards are The Gay Superbowl then the Tony Awards are The Gay World Series. The Tony's have always had a gay tinge to them but there was a turning point a few years ago when Tony came out of the closet. I think someone kissed his partner on air or publicly thanked his partner or something like that. And then of course there was the year Hugh Jackman performed a number from The Boy From Oz and totally camped it up for our viewing pleasure.



And it didn't hurt that in the past they have hired Mr. Eye Candy "I'm Not Gay And My Wife Will Tell You So" Jackman to host. And even though the Tony's came out of the closet a few years ago, this was the year the closet door and the hinges were demolished. No one is complaining.

I watched the Tony's with Running My Mass Off, her husband and her father. It was a wonderful time and we all had our opinions on the nominations and winners. We did concur that the sound sucked!

It wasn't until the next day that I realized Bret Michaels missed his mark and got hit on the nose when the set was descending. He definitely kept his sense of humor and added credibility to the fact that this is The Gayest Show On Earth. From People.com:

"Bret Michaels may have broken his nose and busted his lip during a scenery-related malfunction at the Tonys on Sunday – but the Poison frontman and Rock of Love star left with his sense of humor intact.

"He told me, 'All I remember is Shrek and the donkey helping me up, and Liza [Minnelli] giving me a towel,'" says his rep, Joann Mignano. "And Bret was laughing when he heard [Tonys host] Neil Patrick Harris said he gave new meaning to 'headbanging.' "

The evening was filled not only with gays but with gay icons, some eye candy for the gays, and fashionistas but before I get to that...

In a more serious matter, a tribute was paid to those who have died and helped make Broadway what it is. Bebe Newirth introduced the tribute and it started with Natasha Richardson.

AP Photo

Even though this is how it ended, I think this sums up the whole show!

Reuters Photo

(All of the following photos are from Getty Images.)

I don't understand why the gave Liza so much airtime. Here she is:
And here she is again!

I'll let the rest of these photos speak for themselves!








4 comments:

Unknown said...

John Glines was the first to thank his lover on the telecast in 1983, accepting the Tony for Torch Song Trilogy. John was a crazy one [in a good way] and even after the award still came down to the Village and drank with us little people - LOL. I haven't seen or heard from him in forever, but I remember his as a great guy, and was well aware of thanking Larry was something very political.

David Dust said...

Gayest.Show.Ever. As it should be.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

mermayd said...

whoo hoo tonys!! hugh jackman's performance that year was fantastic! john stamos! i knew it...

Unknown said...

Excellent post! I had such a good time and so glad you came over! LOL at Liza's many pics. Loved Hugh Jackman doing the opening number that year!! But, my heart belongs to NPH *sigh*