Friday, June 19, 2009

Life Is A Cabaret Old Chum

So last night Running My Mass Off, Alnhouston & Realtor Ben went with me to the Hobby Center to see Cabaret. This production was produced by Theater Under The Stars.

It was different from the 1998 Revival that I saw at Studio 54. That one was VERY dark and when Sally Bowles sang the title song it bordered on a mental breakdown. It was a very cool production.

This TUTS production is much brigther probably because there is a bunch of red costumes. The twist on the band is really funny. The choreography for Tomorrow Belongs To Me is amazing. Not everyone noticed how the dancer shaped his body in a swastika. The Emcee is entertaining and can high kick with the best of the girls but don't ask him to do a split!

I've seen the movie several times and this was the third stage production that I have seen. I get swept up in the debauchery and always forget about the turning point in the story when I am reminded that this is Berlin right before the Nazis took control. It is a chilling moment.

Even though this isn't a feel good musical it is still an entertaining show. There are some cute songs (Don't Tell Momma) and some show stopping songs (Cabaret, Maybe This Time, Tomorrow Belongs To Me).

After the show, Running My Mass Off and I went to Artista to hang with some of the cast members and to have a cocktail. We had never been to Act Out @ TUTS. Maybe next time I'll belt out a tune @ the piano! Just sayin'.

2 comments:

alnhouston said...

Enjoyed the company and the show. Talk about a punch in the stomach...the swatiska at the end of Act 1. YIKES!!!

Anonymous said...

I never seen the musical but Billy B-our Queeen-performed "dont tell momma" at Mona Lott's show-good song. MBC