Monday, October 27, 2008

Monday, Monday

It was a busy day at work. I had planned on going to the gym after work but I started getting a headache around 2p and here it is a bit after 8p and I still have the headache. OY!I'm sitting in the quasi-dark living room wondering how Cloris Leachman has been able to survive on Dancing With The Stars.

There is a conspiracy theory circulating that the executives and employees of Fox, NBC & CBS are voting to keep Cloris on the show to ruin it. She is a bit hokey but entertaining.

So I did something on a whim this evening. On my way home I stopped at the USPS post office to drop some items in the box. I remembered that in a few days it will be SFO Gary's birthday. I have not seen SFO Gary in several years and I have not talked to him in several years. I wasn't even sure if SFO Gary was still in SFO. He could be DFW Gary or LAX Gary or MCI Gary for all I know. And if he was still SFO Gary, does he still work at The ______ Hotel?

So I put a dime in the payphone dialed 411 on the Crackberry and asked for The ______ Hotel in San Francisco and when the hotel operator answered I asked for Gary _____ and he put me through to the _______ department. The phone rang and SFO Gary answered. I identified myself, there was a pause and our conversation picked up from where we last left off several years ago.

I kept him on the phone longer than I should have but there was plenty of laughter in the brief conversation. He reminded me of a few things I had forgotten and I blamed it on Ike.

We did laugh about how we met on a Thursday evening at happy hour at a bar in San Francisco. You see...

I went out to Cali-4-NI-A to run The Big Sur Marathon. I went out on Thursday and runnerOne was going to meet me on Friday. The marathon was on Sunday.

So, I'm hanging out with formerly San Francisco now Berkeley Steve and I'm amazed that it really was 2-for-1 happy hour. On our first order we had four drinks between us! Stuff like that hasn't happened in Texas since some time in the late '80s.

So I'm drinking and trying to get my money's worth and I start making friends, like I'm so prone to doing. We decided to leave the bar and go to another bar and we now have an entourage with us. When we get to the next bar more people join us because we are lushes because they want to be a part of the In Group.

I get to talking to this guy named Gary and I tell him in slurred words that I'm in Cali-4-NI-A to run a marathon. So Gary assumes I'm drinking water and he asks if he can have a drink of my water. He drinks it and makes a face and says, "That's not water." I'm cackling and sounding like I'm going to lay an egg laughing and tell him that it is a vodka tonic.

We relived that story this evening and I told him it sure was a good thing he wasn't in a 12-step program that night because I would have derailed his recovery.

Gary and I were supposed to go on a trip to Paris. We never made it. Maybe if he comes to Texas some day, we CAN go to Paris...Texas that it is.

So placing a random call like I did made me think of this Jim Croce song from teenager days. I also realized I need to place more random calls. Enjoy

3 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

You call your friends all the way in Cali 4 ni a but you never call the one's right here in the Heights! But we're note bitter!

"Tommy" said...

we all do..make more calls..keep in touch..

Anonymous said...

Missing you at the gym. The 4:20 p.m. shift is boring without a weekly gossip session. Ken C