Monday, November 17, 2008

Sticky & Sweet @ Minute Maid Park

Madge blew into town this weekend. Even though she said she had never been here (maybe she meant Minute Maid Park and not Houston) we knew better. I wasn't here when Blonde Ambition came to town (although I saw it in Dallas) but it is documented in Truth or Dare that she was here and staying at the Omni. I figured this time around she would stay at Hotel Icon (because she is an icon), Hotel ZaZa, St. Regis or Four Seasons. Turns out she was at Four Seasons and her crew was at The Hyatt.

So she was spitting distance from the Pre-Madonna Party I went to at Houston House Mike's apartment. While I was Pre-Madonnaing, KIM (Kenny In Montrose) got a lesson on why it is good to have a Crackberry AND be on FaceBook. In a matter of minutes, the following picture was, uploaded and posted on FaceBook.
Tall Todd and I both discussed how easy it is to keep up with folks via FaceBook. However, some status updates are a bit cryptic
Neighbor Nina and Friend Cassie showed up at the Pre-Madonna Party and wowed the crowd with the outfits. I told them to strike a pose. And they did.
They brought some accessories along with them so I donned some sunglasses and a halo.
Neighbor Nina and Friend Cassie had floor seats and took the following photos. I was Club Level (near a bathroom and a bar) and life was good.







Madge was two hours late taking the stage. Geez...she was staying right down the street. I figure she gets a cut of the bar tab which if that is the case, she made out really well.

She didn't do many of her vintage songs. As expected, it was heavy with Hard Candy songs. I like Hard Candy so I was fine with her selection.

She took ONE, yes ONE, request from an audience member and what does goofus ask for? Secret. Yes, Secret from Bedtime Stories. I think that was her lowest selling cd and he asks for a song from it? LOL I would have said, Material Girl or Express Yourself. OY!

At first I thought it was odd that she sang You Must Love Me as her selection from Evita and then I remembered that she wrote the song! The queen of self-promotion was self-promoting.

Another odd thing was that there wasn't an encore. When she left the stage, Holiday started to play and I got excited and then the lights came up. ?????

I enjoyed the trip to the candy shop and the group I was with, we all needed insulin shots when we left. We danced. We laughed. We chatted. We people-watched. We drank copius amounts of vodka while we were at the candy store. Maybe that is why we had such a good time.

6 comments:

"Tommy" said...

sounds like a good ole time...!!!!!

ya'll do it right in H Town

nickabouttown said...

Jealous... :-p

And she didn't write "You Must Love Me," it was just the only original song that Andrew Lloyd Webber and Time Rice wrote for it. It was Oscar-bait.

Yes, I am a nerd...

Viv said...

She is such a diva, and I love it!
Secret, seriously. could someone slap that guy.
I was so glad I saw the Reinvention and got to hear all the "classics".

Looks like a great time!! I can't believe she said she had never been here before, what a true diva...LOL!

Ultra Dave said...

I've enjoyed Madonna for a very long time now, but really, for what tickets cost these days, can't she show up on time? I'm sure she can afford a watch!

Anonymous said...

what a fun night! i haven't let loose and danced like that for years!!! It was worth the wait.

SunWolf said...

I love Madonna! I wouldn't want to know her, but I love her anyway.