Saturday, November 22, 2008

John F. Kennedy



Today marks the 45th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. A few years back it was hoped that people would not commemorate the anniversary of his death but would celebrate his life on the anniversary of his birth (May 29).

I was only 2 years old when JKF died. I don't have much of a recollection of that day. What I know about that day is what was told to me.

I do know that I was with my maternal grandparents on that day while my parents were at work. I have been told that pretty much everything came to a stop. It was a devastating day.

My Aunt Mary Lou and her boyfriend (who is now my Uncle Raymond) at had gone to Carswell Air Force Base in Ft. Worth to wait for the arrival of the John and Jackie. They had been in Houston earlier in the day and flew to Ft. Worth to spend the night.

My aunt said that when the Kennedys arrived it was like they were movie stars. There was a large crowd waiting for them and there were bright lights and photographers everywhere.

The Kennedys spent the night at The Texas Hotel (which has since been renamed several times but the building is still used as a hotel in Ft. Worth). They attended a breakfast banquet at the hotel and then flew from Carswell AFB to Dallas Love Field.

The rest is history.

My sister who was four years old does remember the headline the next day on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram because she said the point size for the font was really big.

I have commented before about the effect of 9/11 on me and I can only imagine that many people felt the same way the day that Kennedy was assassinated.

There are so many things I could comment on (Jackie planning his funeral; Lyndon Baines Johnson being sworn in on Air Force One by Sarah Hughes; knowing where Lee Harvey Oswald is buried; Oswald's mother always insisting that he was innocent; visiting Kennedy's grave/eternal flame at the age of 13) but instead I have decided to show this video: What The World Needs Now/Abraham, Martin & John.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice.

"Tommy" said...

I remember I was nine..telling my age...the most remembered event was the killing of Oswald on live tv by Jack Ruby.

I remember yelling "Momma somebody shot Oswald" standing in front of that black and white tv in the living room.