Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mardi Gras In New Orleans - 03.04.14

I've been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans when it has been cold.  I've been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans when it has been wet.  I can now say that I have been to New Orleans for Mardi Gras when it was cold AND wet!  And guess what?  I still had a great time.

After being at Orpheuscapade on Monday night, we ventured out on Tuesday morning.  I had awakened at 7:00A.M. and heard the rain outside.  I'm not sure what time it started but at 10:00A.M. when we walked down the street to meet up with the Saint Cecilia Society marching group, it was still raining.

Due to the weather, there were many last minute costume changes made.  For many of us, it was about staying warm and dry.

And this Mardi Gras started out a bit different.  I was staying in The Marigny.  There really is a sense of community in this neighborhood.  From what I could tell, many of the people who gathered to walk with St. Cecilia live in The Marigny.

We walked from The Marigny thru part of the French Quarter, to Jackson Square, to the river.  All of this time, a jazz band was playing music as we walked in the cold, pouring rain.

When we arrived at the river, the festive atmosphere took a turn to the serious side.  The music went from festive to solemn.  The faces stopped smiling.

Several people walked down to the river to scatter the ashes of four people.  While this was being done, the band played a dirge version of Just A Closer Walk With Thee.  It was a very emotional experience for everyone.





The rain continued and we decided we needed to get to a bar and get something to drink and to warm up.  The streets were nowhere near as crowded as they usually are on Fat Tuesday.  The bars were very crowded.  And it turned out to be an early evening for us.  We were back in The Marigny by 6:00P.M. or so.  And as I previously stated, it was still a fun time!

You can see more photos from the day on my Facebook page.

No comments: