Monday, June 16, 2014

Keep Your Feet On The Ground...

...and keep reaching for the stars.

The timing was odd.

We were at Mt. Olivet Cemetery.  My brother was inside purchasing some flowers to leave at my father's grave for Father's Day.  I was in the car with my mom listening to NPR.  I received a message alert from KPRC that Casey Kasem had died.

Casey had been in poor health; it was all over the news.  His children had entered into a legal battle with Casey's 2nd wife Jean.  And as with all things media related, it had turned ugly.  Enough about that.

The timing was odd because when I was a kid, I would listen to American Top 40 on Sunday's to find out the #1 song of the week.  If I didn't listen to it on a transistor radio, I would listen to it in my parents' car on our way to or from visiting my grandparents. 

Casey would always tease the listener before a commercial break with little known facts about an unidentified recording artist.  You had stay tuned because if you didn't you would never know who he was talking about.

There are many people within the recording industry that can thank Casey for talking about them on the air and helping them sell records and thank you for keeping me up to date with what was happening in the music industry.

Thank you Casey for the memories.

No comments: