Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Restaurant City

I tried to find statistics on the number of Houstonians who eat out.  Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States and has oodles of restaurants...some good; some bad.  Unlike New Orleans, we don't have a standard.  For instance, in New Orleans if you can't make a good gumbo, you're going out of business.  And New Orleans is known for it's Cajun and Creole cuisine.  Boston is known for it's seafood and Italian cuisine.

Houston is so diverse, we don't have a standard cuisine.  This makes us a formidable player when it comes to cities that have the best restaurant scene.  Tex-Mex.  Barbecue.  Asian.  Italian. Southwestern.  Seafood.  Steaks.  The list goes on and on.

So we got a nod from Esquire Magazine who ranked Houston #7 in the top 10 of America's Best Restaurant Cities.  Thanx for the nod Esquire!

What are your favorite restaurants?  My list includes (in random order): Cyclone Anayas; Tony's; La Griglia; Paulie's; Jax; Phil's Barbecue; Barnaby's; Reef; Cafe Ginger; Mo Mong; Americas...just to name a few.  There is one restaurant that I still mourn its closing: Anthony's.  There will forever be hole in my heart.  Many a good meal was shared there.  And not dis chains, I do love P.F. Changs but you can find one of those in every big city...and I do!

So readers, let me know.  What are your favorite restaurants?

2 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

The "restaurant' where I eat most lately is "Boom Boom Room", near my house on Yale. Not eating out as much latley, but I love Teala's, Shade, Reef, Cavatore, Vincents, El Tiempo, and Dry Creek. And Haven is my favortie new resto. And I think in Houston, a Mexican restaurant is not worth it salt if it doesn't have a good frozen margarita. And you can always fall back on the universal restaurant criteria- crabcakes! One shell and that place is off my list!

Timmy said...

Miss Ginger: good point about the Margaritas. Have you ever eaten somewhere (and I have) and the Margartas are so good you forget about how mediocre the food is? LOL