Friday, November 6, 2009

Every $1 helps

The email below was forwarded to me. I think it clearly speaks to the reason why Houstonians and non-Houstonians should contribute to Annise Parker's campaign for Mayor of Houston.

A group of my friends have been longtime supporters of Annise Parker. I am very proud of Ben and Jim who have worked in her campaign office, walked blocks handing out flyers, worked polling places on the day of the election, and worked the phones asking for contributions. After reading the letter below, if you would like to contribute and help make history, click here.


----- Original Message -----
From: "John Michael Gonzalez"
Subject: Why I owe Annise $5,000


I hope this email finds you well. I miss home and I miss you! But I need to get something off my chest...

Although we woke up this morning with a bigger House majority than we went to bed with last night, the news from Maine was pretty devastating. I have always thought that leaving the rights of the minority to a plebiscite is itself an outrageous miscarriage of justice. We would still have poll taxes, bans on interracial marriage, and segregated schools if those things were left to mob rule.

But from here in Washington, DC there was another great story of hope. My friend Annise Parker received more votes for Mayor of my great home town of Houston than anyone else. Think about it - a city with almost TWICE the population of Maine!

That news simply made it impossible for me to have a single discouraging thought today on the Maine Equality results. And it has everyone here in DC and around the country talking. Well, I am glad they are talking but as they say... talk is cheap!

I saw manifested what I have always known to be true of this great Texas city: in Houston, you are judged by your merits. By what you have accomplished and what you are capable of. And you don't need a patron or a machine or great wealth. If you are up to the task and prove your worth, Houston will give you a chance. And that is what the voters said loud and clear yesterday.
Richard and I cannot vote for Annise because we are registered to vote here in DC. But we can do our part. That is why we are giving $5,000 to her campaign.

I've had gay and straight friends come up to me and tell me they support Annise because she has the most competent, ethical, list of accomplishments in public service that we have seen for Mayor in a long time. And that nobody is better prepared than her to meet the big expectations for a Mayor after the great record of Bill White.

Well, sure. I agree. Not a single thing in that statement is untrue. And that is why she would have our vote if we still lived in Houston. And that is why we would give some money to her campaign or volunteer.

But as our good friend (and my old boss Chris Bell) reminded me, that is a good enough reason for everyone else to give BUT NOT FOR ME! The reason that we are making such a sacrifice and giving more money to her campaign than we have done for anybody EVER is because WE ARE A GAY FAMILY AND ANNISE PARKER REPRESENTS THE VERY BEST IN OUR COMMUNITY. And if she is ultimately elected Mayor in 5 short weeks, she will represent as chief executive the largest constituency of any LGBT person in the history of this country.

I'm 45 and Richard turned 50 this year. We are ready to stop leaving the future of our civil rights to the goodwill of a mob. Like everybody we know, we have done our part to advance LGBT civil rights. Although not nearly enough but we try. We get to see so many of our friends from Houston come to DC for the HRC National Dinner. It is wonderful to celebrate such a big event and see all this energy. Sometimes I have so much fun at that dinner that I think I am done for the year! Well, I am not - not by a long shot. It is my sincere hope that every single person that makes the trip every year and every single person that goes to the wonderful Houston HRC dinner and all the incredible and loyal LGBT donors that Chris always had are all doing everything they can for Annise right now. And if they haven't yet or haven't enough, I hope they understand that this is the moment.

Does Houston deserve a great Mayor that is competent and ethical and watches the taxes and spending and keeps our streets safe? Absolutely. Does the nation deserve a new leader that speaks to our greatness? You bet. Does the LGBT community have a duty to make sure that we do everything we can to make this possibility a reality? I believe that with all my heart.

Can everybody afford to give Annise $5,000? Certainly not. Richard and I can barely afford it and we will make sacrifices to do it (Bell, sorry buddy but you are getting a nice card for your 50th birthday). But my hope is that every LGBT person in Houston realizes that this moment will come and go in 5 short weeks. That we can make history here. And that if ex-pats like Richard and I appreciate this moment and are willing to stretch further than we ever have before, other LGBT people can too. And should. This isn't your regular race. Annise isn't your regular LGBT-friendly candidate. This is history. And even from 1,208 miles away, we wouldn't miss it for the world!

Chris, thanks for whacking me over the head with the obvious. I hope others seize the moment too...

John Michael Gonzalez DC resident, Texan by the Grace of God...

Contribute to Annise Parker's campaign by clicking here.

1 comment:

alnhouston said...

Great letter. Yes WE Can!