Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm Peeing In My Pants...

...'cause I'm so excited! I was just on Facebook again for the first time today and FB Friend Mike posted a link to YouTube of Pet Shop Boys at the BRIT Awards. You see...

they were awarded Outstanding Contribution To Music.


Aficionados of Str8 Up With A Twist know that I am a HUGE fan of Pet Shop Boys...or as cool people like me call them, PSB. To top it off, Lady Gaga also performed with them. She has become my new favorite artist.

At the awards show, they did a medley of some of their many songs and of course they hit on some of my favorites.

Suburbia always reminds me of when Calvin lived with Stuart. When I would drive to Sugar Land (TX), to get Calvin or to return Calvin to Stuart, I would find myself humming Suburbia, especially, "Let's take a ride along with the dogs tonight, in suburbia..."

West End Girls takes me back to 1984 when I was driving north on I-35 from Waco (TX) back to Ft. Worth (TX). It was a beautiful Spring day and on the radio West End Girls was playing. There was a convertible traveling next to me and the occupants in the car were listening to same station and they were singing along and waving their hands in the air like you don't care. To me West End Girls is a timeless song.

What Have I Done To Deserve This? is one of my favorites because Dusty Springfield recorded the song with them. Dusty's voice was the perfect complement to the song. My favorite part of the lyrics: "Since you went away I've been hanging around I've been wondering why Im feeling down? You went away, it should make me feel better but I dont know, oh. How I'm gonna get through? How I'm gonna get through."

Another song in their medley is Being Boring. If I could pick one song that sums up how I feel about life and my friends, this is the song, "'cause we were never being boring. We had too much time to find for ourselves. And we were never being boring. We dressed up and fought, then thought: make amends. And we were never holding back or worried that time would come to an end. We were always hoping that, looking back you could always rely on a friend."

It's because of these songs and so many of their other songs that I can understand why and highly applaud the award they were given! Hey, Neil and Chris...if you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS from this side of the pond!!! Well deserved.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great video's. MBC

Brett said...

I love the pet shop boys too. What an amazing group, and they have so many great songs! "Being Boring" and "Love Comes Quickly" seem to be my favorites, but it changes constantly.

Anonymous said...

that is why you & i are friends...PSB rules! west end girls is timeless & being boring brings up so many emotions. thanks for the post

alnhouston said...

oops. alnhouston here.

Anonymous said...

Did you catch these guys on the BBC-Graham Norton Show-they were good. MBC