Saturday, February 21, 2009

That's the night that lights went out in...

NoRO.

UGH!

So last night I met up with Friend Kevin and Friend for some beverages. I didn't stay out late because I had to get home and work on my costume for this evenings blowout blast Mystery & Fantasy Mardi Gras Party.

My costume never arrived so I channeled Tim Gunn and told myself to "Make it work." So I had everything in place and was ready to rock. The hot glue gun was fired up. I was watching Queen Latifah in Last Holiday. Calvin was dozing on the couch. The project was started. And then IT happened.

The lights went off and then came back on. Then they went off and came back on. Then they went off. This was at approximately 12:35a.m. Rut-ro!

How can I work on my costume in the dark and without a hot glue gun!!!????!!!!

Friend/Neighbor Nina sent me a text message asking if I was still awake. I had called CenterPoint Energy to report the outage. I was told that approximately 2,000 households were without power. I report this to Nina.

While we were on the phone we noticed that a police helicopter was circling the neighborhood with the big spotlight. Our imaginations were running wild.

Nina thought someone had cut the power and was going to rob us.

I told her that someone was probably in a car chase with the police, hit a pole, took out the lights and was now on foot.

And then I thought, maybe it was the glue gun that blew a fuse?

We also slipped into Hurricane mode. I thought maybe I should start eating everything in the refrigerator. And then I thought, maybe I should open an expensive bottle of wine. I didn't do either.

I slept on the couch with Calvin while the CenterPoint crews were working outside. I also called Kevin who had just returned from Denny's. Sounds like he and Keith had a fun time at the diner. At some point I fell asleep.

Around 2:15a.m. the power came back on.

I was too tired to work on the costume again. I restarted the project this morning and then again this afternoon. I think it is finished!

1 comment:

Margo said...

In spite of the blown fuse (did you ever find out what happened?) the costume looked great!