Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hurricane Katrina Five Years Later (Part I)

August 28, 2005, I was at FIT and watching the news while I was on an elipitical machine.  I knew that a hurricane was heading toward Louisiana but I didn't know that Mayor Ray Nagin had issued a mandatory evacuation of the city of New Orleans.

On my way home I started to listening to a news station and they were talking about the amount of traffic on I-10 coming in from the east.  I called my Lisa to find out if she was OK.

She and her two children left New Orleans before the evacuation order was issued and had gone to Lafayette.  With the storm still on course she left Lafayette and was stuck in traffic on I-10 coming into Houston.  Kevin wasn't with her because he was on a business trip in San Diego/Tijuana.

She assured me that she was OK and would be meeting up with her family at the JW Marriott in The Galleria.  Kevin was trying to get to Houston.  I told her to please let me know if they needed anything.

This was just the beginning.

No comments: