Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cajones


Do you ever wonder where some people get their balls? LOL I mean really.

When I moved to Houston back in 1992, I worked downtown and I really liked it. There's just something about the hustle and bustle.

Today I was downtown. I won't tell you what I was doing because I'm afraid I will jinx myself. That seems to be happening quite a bit to me lately so I'm being real careful what I divulge and to how many people I divulge it to. Anywho...

So I thought I was only going to be in the building for a few minutes but just to be on the safe side I put enough quarters in the meter to cover me for about an hour and 15 minutes. Which to me was an hour more than what I thought I was going to need.

Well...I was inside that building for an hour and forty-five minutes! All I could think of was that I was going to have parking ticket waiting for me when I got back to The Cal Mobile.

So...I leave the building and I can see The Cal Mobile parked right there across the street but I can't tell if I have a ticket waiting for me. And right around the corner I can see a cop car and I'm beginning to panic.

Rather than jaywalk and get a ticket for that, I decided to go to the corner of Jefferson and Smith and properly cross the street.

So I'm standing there waiting for the signal to cross and there is the cop car. Turns out it was a Sheriff Dept. car. He was waiting to turn left and the lane next to him could also turn left and there is a car that is going to do the double turn.

The signal changes and yes, me the pedestrian has the right of way. So, I start to cross, the cop car waits but the car next to him takes off and heads right for me! He got close enough for me to hit the car with my hand and the guy just stared at me.

What gets me is that he did that right in front of the cop car. THAT is cajones! Once I thought about it, I really got upset because the guy in the sheriff's car didn't do ANYTHING!!!!

I wanted to run down the street screaming "Citizens Arrest! Citizens Arrest!" but I didn't. And I didn't have a ticket waiting for me. It really p!ssed me off though about almost getting hit when I had the right of way.

You know. Somedays you just want to pack up your jacks and balls and not play anymore.

7 comments:

Viv said...

That is terrible. Ugh, people are so self absorbed it makes me sick. To make me even sicker is the officer. I am glad you are otay, Timmy.

Margo said...

Good thing it wasn't Metro - they would have run you over for sure...

A Girl From Texas said...

Jefferson and Smith.... I used to work there a long time ago..... I know it well.

Glad he missed you.

SunWolf said...

I saw exactly the same thing happen here in DC on my way to work this morning! And the cop just sat there. I know he saw it. He could have gone after the idiot driver, but he didn't bother. Interesting coincidence.

SunWolf said...

Oh, yes, and good luck on whatever you were doing downtown that you don't want to divulge because you are afraid you will jinx yourself.

Timmy said...

viv: what was that officer thinking? I mean come on! it was ME! LOL

margo: I guess I should count my blessings. have I ever told you about my fear of getting hit by the light rail? I so don't want to end up on the news with erik barajas reporting the story.

a girl from texas: if it had been april 15 and on the other side of the building by the micky leland building, I could understand people being distracted what with them trying to get their tax forms from the i.r.s. and all.

sunwolf: thanx for the good thoughts and wishes. if it pans out, I'll let ya know.

Rick said...

I don't think drivers do women that way. Do they? I saw a guy get his foot run over at the corner of Gray there by River Oaks Theatre and the old Bierra Poritis(?). Downtown is bad.