Monday, September 28, 2015

Pic(s) Of The Day - 09.10.15 - USCA

I awakened on my birthday to fluttering of sounds on my phone. It was notifications from Facebook that people were wishing me a Happy Birthday. Some of you may think it's odd that I would opt to spend my birthday out of town but as I've mentioned before, birthdays are no big deal to anymore. I might throw a double nickel party next year. Maybe. Maybe not.

I was in DC for the United States Conference on AIDS. Unexpectedly, I ended up in the same room with Kate Burton and Nancy Pelosi and an $18 sandwich.

Prior to eating my $18 sandwich, I'm not sure I knew who Kate Burton is but it turns out she is the daughter of Richard Burton and she is on Scandal. She was there to present Nancy Pelosi with The Elizabeth Taylor Legacy Award. Unbeknownst to me, Nancy had taken on the fight against HIV/AIDS early in her career when she joined the U.S. House of Representatives. In fact, they showed a photo of a young Nancy Pelosi with Elizabeth Taylor!

Nancy was met with skepticism by her House colleagues. She also stated that by now she thought there would be a cure. She looks forward to a time when the disease is eradicated. “It will be relegated to a museum — people will take their children and say, ‘There was a time when HIV… invaded our community, but we overcame it.’”







No comments: