Sunday, July 5, 2009

Only the good die young

Many of you may remember Billy Joel's song Only The Good Die Young. It was quite popular when I was in high school...Catholic high school that is. If you know the lyrics you know the significance of the song to going to a Catholic high school.

I picked a fight with someone the other night. A few adult beverages and some text messages and once the ball started rolling down the hill I wouldn't let it stop.

My bad behavior was really bugging me and I called the person today to apologize. Whether I was right or wrong I should have dealt with this in an adult manner rather than doing it via text messages.

In our talk today he told me about someone who died yesterday. Tyler Goolsby died yesterday at the age of 27. It was sudden. I don't have all of the details but I do know that he was with friends when it happened.

Tyler had just finished law school. He was also a member of the Lonestar Lariats. I've read postings on his Facebook wall and he was a really special guy.

Tyler's untimely death is on the heals of the death of a cousin of mine. James was only 45 and he too died suddenly.

I am very glad that I called and apologized to my friend. If I hadn't done it and if something happened to him, I would never be able to forgive myself. So please, if there is someone in your life that you need to make amends with, please do it. Obviously, life can be too short.

I went to Mass this evening and one of the songs had this lyric in it: There is no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend. It reminded me of a conversation I had late last night with someone. We were talking about our unique friendship that is based upon us being über-fans of Pet Shop Boys. We had been together for a big chunk of the afternoon and evening and the song Being Boring was our theme song last night.

Cherish the people in your life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said. Thanks for writing this.