Thursday, January 3, 2008

Project Runway Season 4 (update)

For a review of last night's episode, I turned to my good friend Tim Gunn for his input. The designers could select anything in the Times Square Hershey Store to create their design.



I have selected four of the designs and have included Tim's comments...and then added my own. Enjoy!


Rami wins! And he is the first designer this season to win two challenges. Using York Peppermint Patty paper* for a pleated skirt and vinyl Twizzler pillow cases for an innovatively constructed top, he created a look that was simultaneously edgy, fashion forward, and wearable (i.e. believable). His look was superbly constructed and the fit on his model Sam was perfection. What more is there to say? Congratulations, Rami!

I really liked this dress. A bit on the quirky side but with the right look and attitude a woman could wear this to a cocktail party. Sort of reminds me of the Gold American Express Card dress from the Oscars back in the 90s. Remember? The costume designer for The Adventures of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert made the AMEX dress and AMEX took it on tour across the U.S.




To me, this outcome was inevitable. Elisa listens to two inner voices (at least two…) that operate from opposing positions: that is, one tells her to be fantastically innovative and avant-garde while the other deludes her into thinking that she successfully attains that goal. When I engage with her, I listen seriously and respectfully, but I find that the words she speaks and the work that I’m looking at don’t jibe.

For this challenge, she used her daughter as her muse and sought to achieve an outfit suitable for Gretel of "Hansel and Gretel." She said that she wanted a “fashion confection of fairytale fantasy.” Okay, but what does a stale brown velvet dress have to do with that? I won’t even comment on those ludicrous faux sleeves made out of the Hershey’s Kiss pillows. Ho-hum. If Elisa’s design had been as interesting as her words portrayed, then she’d have been the winner.

Elisa, Elisa, Elisa. A dress for Gretel? LOL Nina Garcia was very correct when she said, "...and all we got was a sad brown dress."



Sweet P was almost completely derailed by this challenge. Was it a consequence of over thinking her design and being too innovative with the materials? Perhaps, but the earlier stage of her work presented an impossible mess. I was in complete agreement that she abort and begin anew. The trouble was that she had made such a mess of so much of her material resources that they couldn’t be recycled into phase II, so there were severe limitations ahead.

This was a classic “make it work” moment. I was proud – and relieved – that she was able to create a garment that looked believable and could walk the runway. Yes, it was a basic look – a silver bodice and pleated miniskirt made out of Hershey’s Kiss paper* -- but at least she had a look! Michael and Nina were especially critical of her look’s banality, but if they could walk a mile in our shoes!

Sweet P was making me nervous. At one point Tim Gunn said, "It looks like a coffee filter or a maxi pad." And even though she was one of two for possible elimination, she didn't get auf'd.


Chris knew only too well that this challenge would either make him or break him. As a costume designer extraordinaire, Chris is more than adept at using untraditional materials, such as food. But were he to go the way of the food circus, then he would have delivered a parade float to the judges, and we know where that would have led. In his own apt words, this design was “Stephen Sprouse meets Andy Warhol.” I loved his strapless mini-dress with “Hershey’s” emblazoned and repeated vertically from the bust-line to the hip: very Warholesque, indeed. The look was clean, beautifully fitted, and his model Marcia looked sublime. Furthermore, it was a strong contender for the win. Chris, I’m proud of you!

I really like this dress. I agree. He channeled Warhol. LOVE IT!

In other news...
It was 34 degrees this morning at 630a when I met runnerOne at the park. I REALLY tried to run the 3 miles as fast as I could because it was cold. According to Fitness Nerd, 34 degrees is a heat wave.

I also made it to the gym this evening. Did an abs and leg workout. Since I'm not spinning as much, I need to get back to the leg weights.

I was actually surprised that the gym wasn't too crowded. Maybe it is because most folks at LeFittes are there all of the time anyway so no reason to make a resolution to get back to the gym.

I did notice that there were quite a few visitors there this evening checking out the place. Which makes sense. Any time that you are checking out a gym, you should go at the time of day that you think you will be going on a regular basis.

If you're counting calories, Cooper Lowenthal has put a calorie comparison chart out there for you. Makes for interesting reading.

3 comments:

Viv said...

Awesome on getting the 3 done, in this freezing weather. I was sipping my hot coffee, and headed to the gym. They had the heat way up. I really do not know which is worst. Not a lot of newbies at the gym this far at my gym either. Where are all the new years resolution peeps. On other news, I am all cought up on PR. I love Cristian's designs. He is a confident lil thing, but I love everything he's got!

ANDRE said...

i love the fact we like the same shows.. too bad i still have to watch the new seasons, i'll start downloading them!

Margo said...

So sad that Elisa got auf'd, but it really was a bad dress. Kind of surprised that Christian wasn't in the top 3, but I'm biased. OMG - the Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency cracks me up!